Tuesday, June 26, 2007

holy jesus! that fuggin' hurts

From this morning's Seattle Post-Intelligencer*
With his hand wedged between his boat and a log, and his future son-in-law off getting help, William Messenger decided he was out of time. He pulled out a pocket knife and sawed off two of his fingertips to free himself from the sinking vessel.
Minutes later, his son-in-law arrived with help, a pry bar and other tools to separate the boat from the log. Messenger was taken from the Wynoochee River in southwestern Washington to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where a hospital spokeswoman said he was in satisfactory condition Monday. She did not know whether surgeons had been able to reattach the fingertips.
Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott said Messenger, a 51-year-old fisherman from Ocean Shores, might have made a different decision if he had known how quickly his future son-in-law, Jarrad Todd, would arrive.
"Hindsight is 20-20. If he'd have known help was not that far away, he might have held off taking the steps that he did," Scott said.
"It's one thing to think about doing that, but it's another to actually execute the plan."
Messenger and Todd, 29, were fishing on the Wynoochee on Sunday afternoon when rapids swept their 16-foot drift boat into a logjam. The side of the boat slammed against a log, pinning Messenger's left index and middle fingers. The pressure of the water held the boat in place.
The boat was turned upstream at a 45-degree angle and began to fill with water. Todd escaped and went to a nearby home in Aberdeen for help, Scott said. In the meantime, Scott said, Messenger was straddling the quickly filling boat and began to worry it would sink before Todd returned.

*please note: Thee Ass Hooked Whitey Kollective has exercised unusual editorial discretion in selecting the accompanying image for this post.

Labels: ,


Anonymous Uncle Tim said...

Tough nose pickin from here on out

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

View My Stats