Thursday, January 11, 2007

that expensive fly rod is a ripoff

so sayeth Steve Parton, an English dude who makes custom flyrods. Man, are they gonna be fucking pissed about this on Bainbridge Island.
If you can do sums and think a bit you should by now be fully aware exactly what you are paying for a flyrod, bag and tube and why. Given that less than 3 hours of actual direct labour and probably less than £25:00p in input materials have been used in overall manufacturing it may seem an awful lot - especially if that labour has been employed somewhere where they pay around £1:25p per 10 hour day.

Being very simplistic about things I think I would DEFINITELY HAVE BEEN STUFFED if I paid more than £25 for a Sage/ Hardy Build Quality of 10' flyrod from the Far East.

Most of the cost you have paid has been about levels of distribution / importation / marketing / transportation. Very little has been about Manufacturing/ Research / Expert Input.


(via trout underground/opax/sexy loops)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Hscott said...

What makes things even worse is when you try to save a little money by buying components and building your own rod. Even then, you end up paying way more then the GBP25.00 (about $50.00) mentioned by Steve Parton. To extrapolate a little, pay $300 for a Sage blank and only 10% or so of the cost is due to manufacturing and shipping. The remaining 90% is profit taking, name recognition, marketing, etc. It seems like a system out of balance but I don't think it will ever change as long as there are those of us who must have the "latest & greatest" each season.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nothing compared to the mark up on Nike shoes.

Corporations act like corporations. Why is anyone surprised? Are fly rod manufacturers supposed to be different than other sorts of companies? They're a for-profit company.

I heart Sage.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come a little when I think of nubile young asian girls using their soft supple fingers to tie my flies and wrap my rods. I hope they get spankings if they build a rod that doesn't really lay it down.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IAN FORBES, COME ON DOWN!!!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


View My Stats