Monday, July 17, 2006

setting dry fly fishing back at least 100 years

At least Frederick M. Halford could be an entertaining writer. This... well this (link goes to archive page, select "nympholepsy" for the gold) makes me want to buy a 500 yard spool of 8lb maxima and tie up a box of 150 deer hair sculpins -- heavily weighted! Moonbat Quote:
So what about the possessed ones? Fly fishermen are the only people in the world haughty enough to call a San Juan Worm a fly. Or a nymph a fly. It's bait! Artificial bait at that. Just because a person can afford to buy a fly rod it doesn't make that person a fly fisherman. Don't get your dander up. I know sometimes the hatches are scarce or non-existent. Maybe a person could get desperate to catch a fish. So he fishes a Hare's Ear Nymph. Does that count against him in the great book somewhere? Only the keeper of the great book knows that.

Perhaps I should be grateful the people fishing nymphs have graduated to nymphs from whatever bait they were using. Maybe they will mature and grow to enjoy the total experience of fly fishing. They might glimpse the joy and contentment visible on the upstream and dry fisher's face. They could even wonder what they are missing.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh.. I read that article as well, and thought it was kind of "moonbattish."

A dry fly is just as much a "bait" as a nymph.

Wonder what she thinks of those of us who love to get smallies on the fly rod - and use interesting top water flies that look like mice, or frogs.. or sometimes look like nothing at all but woohoo... seeing a smallie practically pounce on the darn thing and begin tailwalking all over the water.

But then there are some that think that real fly fishers only fish trout.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gaywad

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

makes me want to fish for catfish

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"makes me want to fish for catfish"

Indeed, catfish can be a lot of fun on the fly rod. Last year I was fishing some nymphs, deep, in a pond that held smallmouth bass.

Caught a catfish, about 3 lbs. What a scrapper this guy was - granted, no beautiful smallie-like tail dancing on the water of course, but he sure had my 9' 5wt rod bent over and put up a fun fight.

I was using the Muncher Nymph at the time. First catfish I ever caught on a fly rod, and I certainly wouldn't have any issues going for them again. Catfish are also very tasty!

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats